PARKER INSTITUTE. Parker Institute, the first school to offer college-level classes in Parker County, was established by a Mr. and Mrs. Bales in 1881 at Whitt in northwestern Parker County. In 1884 the Northwest Texas Methodist Conference selected the institute to be its flagship college in North Texas. The conference appointed Amos Bennett, a graduate of DePauw University, to be director of the school. For nine years he served as the institute's administrator and only full-time faculty member. Assisted by instructors who had been his students in Kentucky and Texas, Bennett developed a curriculum that stressed traditional classical subjects, including Greek and Latin. Parker Institute graduated three or four students during its twelve years of existence. The first was Beulah Sprueill, who became a member of Parker's faculty for some time. Two later had distinguished careers in the field of education. Jefferson Davis Sandefer, who graduated in 1892, served as president of Hardin-Simmons University for thirty years (1909–40), and Charles Shirley Potts, who graduated in 1893, served as dean of the Southern Methodist University law school for twenty years. Parker Institute was not able to compete with the growing number of colleges that appeared in North Texas in the early 1890s. It surrendered its charter in 1893 and became a public school.
Joe Harper, The History of Education in Parker County, Texas (M.A. thesis, Southwest Texas State College, 1951). Texas Outlook, March 1938. Weatherford Democrat, August 11, 1939.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."PARKER INSTITUTE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbp06), accessed December 11, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.