RIVERSIDE INSTITUTE. Riverside Institute, seven miles from Dallas, was established in 1875 by J. R. Malone. It opened with an enrollment of seventy-five and operated for two years. The unexpectedly large attendance necessitated immediate additions to the building. The school, supported by the Baptists of Texas as well as by local citizens, became widely known despite its brief existence. It was forced to close when the principal accepted a position in another school.
Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."RIVERSIDE INSTITUTE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbr10), accessed December 08, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.