SABINE BAPTIST COLLEGE
SABINE BAPTIST COLLEGE. Sabine Baptist College, at Milam, opened in 1858 under the auspices of the Central Baptist Association. The institution closed during the Civil War because of lack of students but opened again in 1868 under the direction of the Bethlehem, the Mount Zion, the New Hope, and the Sabine Baptist associations. Each association was represented on the governing board. The college was directed by W. E. Maund. Because of financial difficulties it was closed permanently in 1870.
William Franklin Ledlow, History of Protestant Education in Texas (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1926). Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Marie Giles, "SABINE BAPTIST COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbs02), accessed December 12, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.