SAN ANTONIO ACADEMY
SAN ANTONIO ACADEMY. San Antonio Academy, a private preparatory school for boys, was opened in San Antonio by Dr. William Belcher Seeley in September 1886. The academy, first located on East Houston Street, had an enrollment of seventy-two students at the end of the first year. In April 1888 the school was moved to North Flores Street, facing San Pedro Park. A charter was granted in 1891. The academy was said to be the first private school in the state to be given full affiliation by the University of Texas. In 1893 the school was opened to girls. In 1926 it merged with West Texas Military Academy, and the upper school, giving college preparatory work, was called Texas Military Institute, while the lower school in 1950 operated as the San Antonio Academy. The academy severed its relationship with the Texas Military Institute and became a nonprofit organization in 1954. In 1967 the school moved to East French Place to what was formerly St. Mary's Hall. In 1995 the academy offered prekindergarten through eighth grade to 300 students. The principal was John Webster.
Isaac Joslin Cox, William Belcher Seeley (San Antonio: Naylor Company, 1948). Leah Carter Johnston, San Antonio: St. Anthony's Town (San Antonio: Librarians Council, 1947).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SAN ANTONIO ACADEMY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbs07), accessed January 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.