ST. MARK'S SCHOOL OF TEXAS
ST. MARK'S SCHOOL OF TEXAS. In 1933 what is now St. Mark's School of Texas opened at its first location on the corner of Walnut Hill Lane and Preston Road in Dallas. Its original name was Texas Country Day School, a "school in the country for city boys in the tradition of English prep schools." The first graduating class (1935) consisted of one student, Jerry Cunningham. The first headmaster, Kenneth Bouve, was recruited from Tabor Academy; Bouve's tenure lasted until 1949. The school moved in 1941 to the present location at 10600 Preston Road but was forced by a fire on November 13, 1943, to relocate to the Fondren Library on the Southern Methodist University campus. Classes returned to the Preston Road site in 1946. The school merged with the Cathedral School of Dallas (St. Matthew's) and was renamed St. Mark's School of Texas in 1951. In the early 1990s the school library had 28,500 books and a media center. The physical plant also included a fine-arts building, tennis courts, a stadium with track, a chapel, a math and science quadrangle, an Olympic-size swimming pool, a planetarium and observatory, aviary, and greenhouse, and the St. Mark's radio station. New construction during the 1980s included the Lower School, the Music Building, and St. Mark's Chapel, as well as the Albert G. Hill Tennis Center. In June 1990 a new physical science building was completed. In 1990 St. Mark's occupied a forty-acre campus. the faculty numbered more than ninety, of whom sixty-one held graduate degrees. The school maintained eight "master teacher chairs" and had an endowment of more than $26 million. Minority enrollment was more than 16 percent, and substantial financial aid was available. Both the Texas Education Agency and the Independent Schools Association of the Southwest accredit St. Mark's. The school maintains ties with the Protestant Episcopal Church; indeed, the original charter mandated that there be a chapel and an Episcopal chaplain on the faculty and that the current presiding bishop of Dallas sit on the school's board. The Episcopal Church, however, donates no money for the support of the institution, which remains a nonsectarian school with students from a variety of religious backgrounds.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mary Anne Norman, "ST. MARK'S SCHOOL OF TEXAS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbs59), accessed December 10, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.