TEXAS BAPTIST INSTITUTE AND SEMINARY
TEXAS BAPTIST INSTITUTE AND SEMINARY. Texas Baptist Institute and Seminary, in Henderson, opened in September 1948 in buildings of the Calvary Baptist Church. A permanent campus was located on Longview Drive after completion of an administration building in 1954. The Calvary Baptist Church appointed trustees and elected administrative officers and faculty. The institute and seminary conducted classes on a nine-month basis in four departments: Bible and Bible languages; evangelism and Bible interpretation; church history, administration, and doctrine; and speech and English. Students wanting to do religious work could earn a certificate in English Bible. In 1995 the institute offered a bachelor of theology diploma and a master of theology diploma, which required completion of a thesis. In 1995 the school's library had 8,000 volumes. The thirteen-acre campus included classroom buildings, duplex apartments, and a chapel. Enrollment fluctuated from thirty-five to seventy-four full-time students between 1948 and 1973. Forty-six students were enrolled during the fall of 1998; the faculty numbered thirteen, and Ray O. Brooks was president.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."TEXAS BAPTIST INSTITUTE AND SEMINARY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbt04), accessed March 03, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.