TRI-STATE COLLEGE. Tri-State College, at Texarkana, a coeducational school under control of the Enon, Red River, and Southwest Arkansas Baptist associations, was established in 1901 and used property that had previously belonged to a school known as South-west Ark College. Tri-State was first known as Inter-State College because it served both Texas and Arkansas; it was renamed Tri-State College in an effort to attract students from Louisiana. Failure of the financial agents to obtain sufficient funds caused the school to close at the end of its first year.
Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."TRI-STATE COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbt29), accessed September 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.