WHARTON COLLEGE. Wharton College, organized in Austin in 1858 as Marianne Wharton College, was named by Charles Gillette for his wife. It received a charter on February 11, 1860, under the name of Wharton College. The number of faculty members rose from five to nine over the course of the following months, but the school was closed after the outbreak of the Civil War. Gillette continued to live in the building and taught one or two pupils until his return to New York in October 1865.
William Franklin Ledlow, History of Protestant Education in Texas (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1926). Willie Madora Long, Education in Austin Before the Public Schools (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1952).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."WHARTON COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbw15), accessed October 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.