WHITESBORO NORMAL SCHOOL
WHITESBORO NORMAL SCHOOL. Whitesboro Normal School, a private primary school, was established by James M. Carlisle at Whitesboro in Grayson County, Texas, in 1878. With Euler B. Smith, Carlisle purchased the two-story frame building constructed for and previously used by the Shiloh Baptist Institute and offered classes until 1882. The four-person faculty, which included Carlisle and Smith, taught an average of 100 students per year during its existence. The normal school ceased operations in 1882, when Carlisle accepted the post of superintendent of the Whitesboro public school. The building was used for some time by the public schools of the community.
Graham Landrum and Allen Smith, Grayson County (Fort Worth, 1960; 2d ed., Fort Worth: Historical Publishers, 1967). Mattie D. Lucas and Mita H. Hall, A History of Grayson County (Sherman, Texas, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "WHITESBORO NORMAL SCHOOL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbw16), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.