WILLIS MALE AND FEMALE COLLEGE
WILLIS MALE AND FEMALE COLLEGE. The citizens of Willis, Texas, contracted for a college building in 1881, but the contractor held the keys for three years until final payments were made; title passed to Rev. and Mrs. S. N. Barker, Methodists, who opened Willis Male and Female College in September 1885. The Barkers in turn sold to F. P. Crow and C. H. Stovall in 1890. Crow and Stovall operated the college until 1894, when they sold out to Cyril M. Jansky and Marion Kline, who were unsuccessful. Crow returned and operated the school until he sold it to the public schools in 1900 or 1901.
Montgomery County Genealogical Society, Montgomery County History (Winston-Salem, North Carolina: Hunter, 1981). Donald W. Whisenhunt, The Encyclopedia of Texas Colleges and Universities (Austin: Eakin Press, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Louise Kelly, "WILLIS MALE AND FEMALE COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbw20), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.