UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SPEECH AND HEARING INSTITUTE AT HOUSTON
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SPEECH AND HEARING INSTITUTE AT HOUSTON. The University of Texas Speech and Hearing Institute at Houston, a center for clinical services, education, and research in speech and hearing disorders, was founded as the Houston Speech and Hearing Clinic in 1951, and became part of the University of Texas System in 1971. From 1971 to October 1972 it was designated the Division of Communicative Disorders of the University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at Houston. In October 1972 the institute was renamed the University of Texas Speech and Hearing Institute at Houston and became a part of the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. Faced with diminished state funding support, fewer resources for faculty and research, and lower demand for educational programs, arrangements were made for continuation of clinical services through the United Way of the Texas Gulf Coast, and the Institute closed on October 31, 1992.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SPEECH AND HEARING INSTITUTE AT HOUSTON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kcu39), accessed April 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.