FRONTIER TIMES MUSEUM
FRONTIER TIMES MUSEUM. The Frontier Times Museum, in Bandera, was established in 1927, when J. Marvin Hunter provided a small house for his collection of relics from Texas and the Southwest. The museum was enlarged in 1933 with native building materials-stone, fossils, petrified wood, and formations from local caves. The F. B. Doane Foundation, a nonprofit organization devoted to education, bought the museum from the Hunter estate in 1960; they restored the old building and added a gallery before transferring ownership to Bandera County in 1972. The museum housed 30,000 items in 1990, from Indian artifacts to cowboy memorabilia to various clothes, weapons, and household items of nineteenth and early twentieth century Texas. Donations to the museum have also included a shrunken head from South America, a totem pole, and a collection of bells. The museum provides gallery space so that local artists and craftsmen can exhibit their work.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "FRONTIER TIMES MUSEUM," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/lbf03), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.