YSLETA DEL SUR PUEBLO MUSEUM
YSLETA DEL SUR PUEBLO MUSEUM. The Ysleta del Sur Pueblo Museum, fifteen miles southeast of downtown El Paso, is devoted to the history and culture of the Tigua Indians, who first came to the area in October 1680 as refugees from the Pueblo Revolt in New Mexico. The museum opened in 1975 in the historic Alderette-Candelaria House, built around 1840, and is part of the Ysleta del Sur Cultural Center, which also includes shops that sell silver, pottery, and other crafts produced by the Tiguas. In the spring of 1992 the museum was being rebuilt after most of the structure was destroyed by fire.
Paula and Ron Tyler, Texas Museums: A Guidebook (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Martin Donell Kohout, "YSLETA DEL SUR PUEBLO MUSEUM," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/lby01), accessed August 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.