SHIVERS LIBRARY AND MUSEUM
SHIVERS LIBRARY AND MUSEUM. In 1963 former governor Robert Allan Shivers and his family purchased a two-story, Victorian-style house built in 1881 and moved it to the corner of Dogwood and Charlton streets in Woodville to establish the Shivers Library and Museum. The museum, which features memorabilia from Shivers's private and political life, was a gift to Tyler County, and a wing was added to house the county library. Shivers's private collection of books and periodicals lines the walls of one room of the museum. Two glass cases display gifts to Shivers from friends and political allies. Another room exhibits the trophies of his safari days, which range from elephant tusks to a lion-skin rug. Plaques, historical documents, and photographs of Shivers with such political figures as John F. Kennedy paper the walls of the upstairs. Saddles remind visitors of Shivers's simple country roots in Woodville, where he attended grade school; other displays of his gavels and campaign posters are a vivid portrayal of his administration as governor in the 1950s. Political cartoons that appeared in numerous newspapers of that period cover the wall of the downstairs meeting room. The outside patio that separates the museum and library is walled in by a tile mural painted by local ceramic artist, Clyde Gray. The six panels depict Shivers's family from the arrival of his great-grandmother in Texas in the early 1800s to the present-day crowning of the Dogwood Queen at the annual Tyler County Dogwood Festival. Tours are available. The library is a member of the Houston Area Library System and serves a population of 18,333. It is the only public library in the county.
Georganne Faulkner, "Shivers Library and Museum Offers a Glimpse of Era," Texas Libraries 49 (Fall 1988).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Georganne Faulkner, "SHIVERS LIBRARY AND MUSEUM," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/lcs10), accessed December 11, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.