WOMAN'S COLLECTION, TEXAS WOMAN'S UNIVERSITY
WOMAN'S COLLECTION, TEXAS WOMAN'S UNIVERSITY. The Woman's Collection in the Blagg-Huey Library at Texas Woman's University in Denton was established by President Louis H. Hubbard in 1932 and is one of the largest and oldest collections of materials about women's history and issues in the United States. The collection contains approximately 20,000 volumes, 126 subscriptions to women's magazines, 118 manuscript collections, and 27,000 microforms, as well as the 1981 women's history exhibit Texas Women: A Celebration of History, and a museum collection. The book collection, which dates from the eighteenth century, is international in scope but emphasizes American women. It includes printed diaries, letters, and memoirs and materials covering women's history, movements, and involvement in various fields and issues. The periodical collection includes titles on specialized topics and such nineteenth-century historic titles as Godey's Lady's Book. Since the Texas legislature designated the Texas Woman's University collection as the state's official collection on the history of women in 1979, it has become the primary resource on the history of women in Texas. This status is due in large part to its manuscript collections, which contain papers of both individuals and women's organizations. The Texas Women: A Celebration of History Exhibit Archives were originally compiled by the Foundation for Women's Resources to document the contributions of women to Texas history. This collection of photographs and reproductions of articles and documents is the state's most comprehensive source on Texas women.
Two of the most extensive primary resources on Texas women in the manuscript collection are the papers of the Texas Federation of Women's Clubs and the Texas Division of the American Association of University Women and its branches. The federation papers include official records and correspondence and cover the federation's activities from its inception in 1897 to the present. The AAUW collection includes official records and correspondence of the Texas Division and local branches since 1926. The manuscript collection also contains records that document the history of Texas Woman's University, including a bound volume of handwritten minutes of the university's original board of regents, of which Helen M. G. Stoddard, Mary Eleanor Brackenridge, and Eliza S. R. Johnson were members. One of the most complete collections of women's microform sets in the country, including approximately 24,000 books and periodicals and thousands of pamphlets, diaries, and manuscripts can also be found in the Woman's Collection. Two of these are the Gerritsen Collection of Women's History and the History of Women, which together provide international coverage from 1534 to 1976. A museum and exhibit supplement the collection. Artifacts in the Historical Collection document the history of Texas Woman's University and the daily lives of Texas women. The artifacts and informative panels in the Texas Women: A Celebration of History exhibit chronicle the lives of women who have shaped the history, culture, and social conditions of the state.
Denton Record-Chronicle, March 29, 1989. Mary Beth Rogers, Texas Women: A Celebration of History (Austin: Texas Foundation for Women's Resources, 1981). Elizabeth Snapp, "The Woman's Collection, the Texas Woman's University Library," in Women's Collections, ed. Suzanne Hildenbrand (New York: Haworth, 1986). Joyce Thompson, Marking a Trail: A History of the Texas Woman's University (Denton: Texas Woman's University Press, 1982). Ruthe Winegarten, Finder's Guide to the`Texas Women: A Celebration of History' Exhibit Archives (Denton: Texas Woman's University Library, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Metta Nicewarner, "WOMAN'S COLLECTION, TEXAS WOMAN'S UNIVERSITY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/lcw01), accessed April 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.