RAPHAEL COLLECTION. The Raphael Collection in Brownsville was composed of family pieces, furniture, and artifacts from France and Scotland collected by Gabriel Matthews Raphael during his years in the import business, beginning in 1866, in Brownsville and Matamoros, Tamaulipas. The collection arrived in Brownsville in April 1960 from New York, where it had been housed, and was donated by Mrs. Gabriel Matthews Raphael and her children Alice, Angus, and Claire. The Raphael Collection is on permanent display at the Stillman House Museum, owned by the Brownsville Historical Association (see STILLMAN, CHARLES).
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Grace Edman, "RAPHAEL COLLECTION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/lor01), accessed February 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.