STATE LAND BOARD
STATE LAND BOARD. An act of the Eighteenth Legislature approved on April 12, 1883, established a State Land Board to classify, sell, and lease state lands that had been surveyed and set apart for the University of Texas, the common-school fund, and the state eleemosynary institutions. The ex officio members of the board were the governor, attorney general, comptroller, treasurer, and commissioner of the General Land Office. The board was authorized to classify state-owned land as agricultural, pasture, or timber land and to see that the sale of the land conformed to the terms specified by the law. Other duties of the board were to determine the ownership and amounts of excesses discovered by state surveys and to maintain jurisdiction over the mineral rights retained by the state in the sale or lease of public land. The board was to employ qualified persons to execute the law. The board was superseded in 1887, when the legislature approved a law placing its powers in the hands of the commissioner of the General Land Office. See also LAND FRAUD BOARD.
Hans Peter Nielsen Gammel, comp., Laws of Texas, 1822–1897 (10 vols., Austin: Gammel, 1898). Thomas L. Miller, The Public Lands of Texas, 1519–1970 (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."STATE LAND BOARD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/mdsmr), accessed January 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.