TEXAS FOOD AND FIBERS COMMISSION
TEXAS FOOD AND FIBERS COMMISSION. In 1941, in an effort to find new uses and markets for cottonseed and fiber, the Texas legislature established the Cotton Research Committee. The name was changed in 1975 to Natural Fibers and Food Protein Committee. The committee was composed of four ex officio members: the presidents of the University of Texas at Austin, Texas A&M University System, Texas Tech University, and Texas Woman's University. The term of office was indefinite. The committee appointed a director as its chief administrative officer. It contracted with the above institutions for research in the following areas: marketing and economic research, fiber and textile products research, and cottonseed and oilseed research, cotton finishing, and consumer organization. In 1969 responsibilities of the committee were expanded by the legislature to include study of increased use and outlet for farm products, especially cotton, wool, mohair, oilseed products, and other textile products. In 1970 the committee was assigned to research and test for flame-retarding finishes and flammability standards for the state. In 1989 the name of the committee was changed to the Texas Food and Fibers Commission. The commission received money from the state's general revenue fund and estimated that its return to tax payers was ten dollars for every one dollar spent.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."TEXAS FOOD AND FIBERS COMMISSION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/mdthp), accessed December 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.