SPECIAL SCHOOLS AND SPECIAL EDUCATION DIVISION, TEXAS EDUCATION AGENCY
SPECIAL SCHOOLS AND SPECIAL EDUCATION DIVISION, TEXAS EDUCATION AGENCY. In 1951 the Texas School for the Deaf was placed under the jurisdiction of the Texas Education Agency, and in 1953 the Texas School for the Blind was also placed under that agency. The Texas Blind, Deaf, and Orphan School, initially a school for blacks, was added to the Texas Education Agency in 1965, and the school's name was changed to Texas Blind and Deaf School. The three schools were combined in 1966 to provide an overall residential program for deaf and blind children. In 1973 they were operated as the Texas School for the Blind, located in north Austin, and the Texas School for the Deaf, located on two campuses, in south and east Austin. As of 1993 only the south campus was in operation. In 1989 the Texas School for the Blind became the Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired. Each school had its own superintendent. The division of special schools handled all administrative affairs.
The division of special education of the Texas Education Agency worked with local school officials throughout the state in developing educational programs for physically, mentally, and emotionally handicapped children. The division also worked with statewide organizations and individuals in special education programs in the public schools. In 1969 the legislature gave the Texas Education Agency additional responsibility by establishing two regional experimental diagnostic centers for the treatment of children with learning disabilities.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SPECIAL SCHOOLS AND SPECIAL EDUCATION DIVISION, TEXAS EDUCATION AGENCY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/mes05), accessed August 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.