Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

COAT OF ARMS

COAT OF ARMS. The coat of arms of the Republic of Texas, originally adopted by the Congress in December 1836, was finally established by an act of Congress on January 25, 1839. It was declared to be a white star of five points on an azure ground encircled by olive and live oak branches. The national seal bore the arms encircled by the words Republic of Texas. The Constitution of 1845 provided for the same seal with the words changed to The State of Texas. See also SEALS OF TEXAS.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Hans Peter Nielsen Gammel, comp., Laws of Texas, 1822–1897 (10 vols., Austin: Gammel, 1898).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"COAT OF ARMS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/msc01), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.