CENTRAL COLORADO RIVER AUTHORITY
CENTRAL COLORADO RIVER AUTHORITY. The Central Colorado River Authority (see LOWER COLORADO RIVER AUTHORITY, and UPPER COLORADO RIVER AUTHORITY), a state authority related to control of the Colorado River, was established in 1935 by the Forty-fourth Texas Legislature. This state conservation and reclamation district is limited in area to Coleman County, and its headquarters are in Coleman, the county seat. In 1939 the Texas legislature remitted to the authority, for a period of ten years, 50 percent of the state ad valorem taxes collected for general revenue purposes from Coleman County. The major activity of the authority has been the prevention of flood damage and the construction of soil-conservation and municipal water-supply projects on a section of the upper portion of the river system, including its tributaries. The authority has pioneered in the practice of constructing farm and ranch tanks that average some five acre-feet in capacity. By 1949 over 1,000 of these, some ranging in size up to 115 acre-feet in capacity, had been constructed. The river authority has also built terraces, spreader dams, and diversion channels for the farmers of the county. In these activities the farmers and the authority were assisted by the Soil Conservation Service and the Production and Marketing Administration of the United States Department of Agriculture. The authority also built a number of community lakes, including those at Gouldbusk, Novice, Talpa, and Santa Anna. It sponsored the construction of Hords Creek Lake, which was completed in 1948. During the 1960s the Central Colorado River Authority had constructed another major reservoir, Coleman Lake. The river authority is governed by a nine-member board of directors appointed by the governor to six-year overlapping terms. In the early 1990s its major function was water conservation and supply.