GUADALUPE-BLANCO RIVER AUTHORITY
GUADALUPE-BLANCO RIVER AUTHORITY. The Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority was established by the Texas legislature on October 17, 1935, to administer a public water-conservation district encompassing the watersheds of the Guadalupe and Blanco rivers. The GBRA was established to develop, conserve, and protect the water resources of the Guadalupe River basin in Kendall, Comal, Hays, Caldwell, Guadalupe, Gonzales, DeWitt, Victoria, Calhoun, and Refugio counties. It cannot levy or collect taxes or assessments or in any way pledge the general credit of the state of Texas. The authority is governed by a board of nine directors appointed by the governor of Texas. Each director serves a six-year term; three directors are appointed or reappointed every two years. The authority's main offices are located in Seguin.
To meet its responsibilities, GBRA has grown to eleven divisions. (1) The General Division consists of technical, administrative, and support staff. (2) The Guadalupe Valley Hydroelectric Division operates six hydroelectric dams and lakes along the Guadalupe River-Dunlap, McQueeney, Placid, and Nolte in Guadalupe County and Lake Wood and Lake Gonzales in Gonzales County. The total generation from these plants is supplied to the Guadalupe Valley Electric Cooperative for local distribution. (3) The Canyon Hydroelectric Division operates the Hydroelectric Plant at Canyon Dam, which produces electricity for New Braunfels Utilities. (4) The Port Lavaca Water Treatment Plant Division treats surface water from the Guadalupe River and delivers it to Port Lavaca. (5) The Calhoun County Rural Water Supply Division supplies treated drinking water to rural residents of Calhoun County. (6) The Luling Water Treatment Plant Division provides treated drinking water from the San Marcos River to residents of Luling. (7) The Victoria Regional Waste Disposal Division provides wastewater treatment to Victoria. (8) The Rural Utilities Division operates water and wastewater-treatment systems for residents of rural areas in Comal and Guadalupe counties. (9) The Water Supply Division delivers stored water from Canyon Lake to downstream cities, industries, and farms. (10) The Calhoun Canal Division uses an extensive system of irrigation canals, dams, check structures, pump stations, and pipelines to deliver water from the Guadalupe River to industrial, municipal, and agricultural customers in Calhoun County. (11) The Coleto Creek Division operates the Coleto Creek Reservoir, which provides cooling water to the Central Power and Light Company generating plant in Fannin and manages Coleto Creek Park, which consists of a 3,100-acre freshwater lake and a 190-acre multi-use recreational facility.
50 Years of Service, 1935–85: Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority of Texas (1985).