Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

RED RIVER AUTHORITY

RED RIVER AUTHORITY. The Red River Authority of Texas, an official agency of the state, was started by an act of the Fifty-sixth Legislature in 1959. It has jurisdiction over all of the Red River watershed in Texas, including all or part of forty-three counties, an area encompassing 40,266 square miles. It has broad powers over the conservation, storage, control, preservation, quality, and utilization of water along the Red River and its Texas tributaries. Headquarters for the authority is located in Wichita Falls. It is overseen by a nine-member board of directors appointed by the governor and confirmed by the Senate, who serve six-year terms. The authority assists communities, towns, municipalities, and other entities in an effort to identify and encourage development of potential water-supply sources, to conserve and protect existing water supplies, and to develop and improve water and wastewater facilities. The authority provides financial assistance to local entities through the issuance of revenue bonds. By the early 1990s the RRA had issued more than $300 million in revenue bonds to finance such projects. In most cases, ownership and control of the facilities are retained by the local entities. The authority also has a staff of professionals and consultants to assist towns and communities with their water needs. In compliance with the Clean Rivers Act, the RRA has prepared a five-year work plan for water-quality assessment of the Red River basin. The 1992 work plan focused on the organization of a water-quality assessment program and a review of data collected by the Texas Water Commission.

Christopher Long

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Christopher Long, "RED RIVER AUTHORITY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/mwr01), accessed November 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.