SOCIAL SCIENCE QUARTERLY
SOCIAL SCIENCE QUARTERLY. The Social Science Quarterly, published jointly by the Southwestern Social Science Association and the University of Texas Press, was founded as the Southwestern Political Science Quarterly in 1920. It was the first social science journal published in the United States by a regional social science organization. The interdisciplinary character of the journal was made explicit in 1923 when the journal became the Southwestern Political and Social Science Quarterly. Eight years later it was renamed Southwestern Social Science Quarterly. In 1968, as part of the decision to deemphasize the regional nature of the journal and stress its interdisciplinary social scientific aspect, the name of the journal was changed to Social Science Quarterly. Today the journal has international stature both in terms of its authors and its subscribers. The first editor was C. G. Haines (1920–21), who was followed by H. G. James (1922–25). For the next decade Caleb P. Patterson was editor, and he was succeeded by J. J. Rhyne in 1936. Since then the journals had been edited by Carl Rosenquist (1939–41), Ruth A. Allen (1942–47), Oliver Benson (1948–53), Frederic Meyers (1953–57), Harry E. Moore (1957–66) and Charles M. Bonjean (1966-). In December 1993 Robert L. Lineberry joined Bonjean as coeditor of the publication. The journal publishes research, theoretical essays, position papers, and book reviews by economists, geographers, historians, political scientists, sociologists, and other social scientists, but its preference is for papers which bridge two or more of these disciplines. By the late 1980s circulation for the publication was about 2,700.
Oliver Benson and Charles M. Bonjean, "The Social Science Quarterly, 1920–1970: A Case History in Organizational Growth," Social Science Quarterly 50 (March 1970).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles M. Bonjean, "SOCIAL SCIENCE QUARTERLY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/nns01), accessed July 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.