CIRCULO CULTURAL ISABEL LA CATOLICA
CÍRCULO CULTURAL ISABEL LA CATÓLICA. The Círculo Cultural Isabel la Católica (originally Círculo Social Femenino Mexicana) was a voluntary civic and social group organized in San Antonio in 1937 to improve conditions for Mexican women. Most of its activities focused on helping needy families. The first president was Carolina Malpica Munguía, and the first board member was María L. de Hernández. The board members scrutinized new members; organized fiestas on Halloween, Christmas, and for the group's anniversary in June; and attended to sickness and death of members and their families. Apparently the group used "Mixteca" as its theme song. Most members were married Mexican citizens. Membership ranged from twenty-one to forty-six. Members included Santos S. Herrera, who also belonged to Ladies LULAC. Lawyers Adolfo Garza and Gustavo C. García were honorary members. The circle met bimonthly on Sundays at the Biblioteca Mexicana, to which they donated curtains and plants. The Círculo Cultural was concerned with morality, order, and elevating the status of Mexican-American women. The group donated to the Mexican consul to help with the local fiestas patriasqv and in 1938 and 1939 sent delegates to the Cruz Azul Mexicana convention. Members also distributed food and toys to their Mexican communities of origin at Christmas. The Círculo Cultural organized an exhibit of popular Mexican art at the Witte Museum in 1939. They no longer met after the early 1940s.
Richard A. García, Rise of the Mexican American Middle Class, San Antonio, 1919–1941 (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1991). Munguía Family Papers, Benson Latin American Collection, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cynthia E. Orozco, "CIRCULO CULTURAL ISABEL LA CATOLICA," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/pqckl), accessed April 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.