CAMP RADZIMINSKI. Camp Radziminski was established on September 23, 1858, on the south bank of Otter Creek in Indian Territory by Maj. Earl Van Dorn as a provision depot on one of his Indian campaigns. It was subsequently moved upstream and maintained as an outpost of Fort Belknap in Young County, Texas. Unlike most other army posts on the frontier, Camp Radziminski was surrounded by a log stockade to protect government animals and supplies. The camp, near the site of Tipton, Tillman County, Oklahoma, was abandoned by the army in the fall of 1859 when its garrison was withdrawn to the newly established Fort Cobb. In 1860 it was reoccupied by Texas Rangersqv under Col. Middleton T. Johnson, who was campaigning against the Comanches. Willis Lang of Johnson's command wrote in his diary that the camp was "located at the south extremity of a range of Wichita mountains in midst of high piles of rocks. . . . Huge mountains rise on either side." Camp Radziminski was named in honor of Charles Radziminski, a native of Poland, who was living in Louisiana when he was appointed second lieutenant in the Third Dragoons in April 1847. Radziminski served as regimental quartermaster and then regimental adjutant during the Mexican War. He left the service at the end of the war but was reinstated as a first lieutenant in the Second United States Cavalry on June 30, 1855. He died of tuberculosis on August 18, 1858. By 1860 very little evidence of the camp remained.
Francis B. Heitman, Historical Register and Dictionary of the United States Army (2 vols., Washington: GPO, 1903; rpt., Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1965). Willis Lang, Diary (MS, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin). Harold B. Simpson, Cry Comanche: The Second U.S. Cavalry in Texas (Hillsboro, Texas: Hill Junior College Press, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Thomas W. Cutrer, "CAMP RADZIMINSKI," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbc22), accessed May 21, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.