CAMP SAN FELIPE
CAMP SAN FELIPE. Camp San Felipe, on San Felipe Creek at the site of present Del Rio, was established in 1857. It was considered an outpost of Fort Clark until 1876, when it was made a permanent post with Company E, Tenth United States Cavalry, stationed there. Lt. J. M. Kelley was the commanding officer. The installation remained in active use until 1896, when the government ordered it dismantled. All movable and usable parts were sold at auction; the medical and hospital supplies were sent to Fort Clark; and the reservation was returned to the original grantee, the Agricultural, Manufacturing, and Irrigation Company of Del Rio.
William H. Leckie, The Buffalo Soldiers: A Narrative of the Negro Cavalry in the West (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1967).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Axcie Seale, "CAMP SAN FELIPE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbc25), accessed November 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.