FORT BOGGY. Fort Boggy was a two-story log blockhouse built by a company of Texas Rangersqv in 1839 to protect the settlers between the Navasota and Trinity rivers in what is now Leon County. It was on the north bank of Boggy Creek two miles north of the site of present Leona. The first settlements on the Leon Prairie grew up around Fort Boggy, and the first store in the area was opened there by Moses Campbell. A Thomas Garner built the first sawmill. The community had been dropped from maps by 1941. In 1936 the Texas Centennial Commission erected a marker at the site of the old fort.
Thomas Clarence Richardson, East Texas: Its History and Its Makers (4 vols., New York: Lewis Historical Publishing, 1940). Harold Schoen, comp., Monuments Erected by the State of Texas to Commemorate the Centenary of Texas Independence (Austin: Commission of Control for Texas Centennial Celebrations, 1938). W. D. Wood, "History of Leon County," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 4 (January 1901).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Art Leatherwood, "FORT BOGGY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbf04), accessed December 10, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.