FORT WORTH QUARTERMASTER DEPOT
FORT WORTH QUARTERMASTER DEPOT. Fort Worth Quartermaster Depot served as a distribution point and supply center for the United States Army during World War II. Fort Worth was chosen as the site because of its proximity to area army camps, large packing plants, highways, and railroad lines. Construction of the $10 million depot began in the winter of 1941–42 and included extension of lines of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas and the Santa Fe railroads to the site. The army activated the supply point on May 4, 1942. Within two months the eighty-four-building depot also became a distribution center for the armed forces. In December of that year the army designated the site as an emergency supply point for troop trains. The Fort Worth Quartermaster Depot's supply area covered all or parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, New Mexico, Louisiana (excluding New Orleans), and Arizona. By the end of 1943 it was the second or third largest military supply center (according to the number of troops supplied) in the nation. The depot continued to operate after the end of World War II, but at a greatly reduced level of activity. In the early 1960s the supply center ceased operations.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "FORT WORTH QUARTERMASTER DEPOT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbf56), accessed November 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.