ARLEDGE FIELD. Arledge Field, at Stamford, was a contract primary flight school operated by the Lou Foote Flying Service to give primary flight training to army aviation cadets. It was established on March 15, 1941, and named for Roy Arledge, a member of the committee that selected and purchased the site. Commanding officers during the base's brief period of activity were Capt. Bob Arnold and majors James B. Knopf and John H. Enders. Cadets from the training school were entertained in homes, and the youth center at the Stamford library was converted into a cadet club. The base was deactivated on September 30, 1944.
Hooper Shelton and Homer Hutto, The First 100 Years of Jones County (Stamford, Texas: Shelton, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."ARLEDGE FIELD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qca03), accessed September 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.