CAMP DAVIS. Camp Davis, four miles from the junction of White Oak Creek and the Pedernales River in Gillespie County, was established in March 1862 by James M. Norris as a ranger station for the Frontier Regiment. It was one of the sixteen Frontier Regiment posts set up in Central Texas along a generally north-south axis from Camp Cureton on the Trinity River to Rio Grande Station (formerly Fort Duncan) on the Rio Grande. The camp, manned by members of H. T. Davis's company, sent men on scout duty, probably until the consolidation of the regiment in March 1864.
William Curry Holden, Frontier Problems and Movements in West Texas, 1846–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1928).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CAMP DAVIS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcc10), accessed September 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.