CAMP NOWLIN. Camp Nowlin was a temporary military outpost near the Little Wichita River and the site of present Archer City in Archer County. It was established under the direction of Capt. John H. Brown on August 8, 1859, and served as a post for soldiers whose primary duties included escorting Indians to and from the Brazos Indian Reservation and Indian Territory. The military outpost only lasted for three weeks, as a series of illnesses forced Brown to close the camp on August 21.
William Curry Holden, Frontier Problems and Movements in West Texas, 1846–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1928).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "CAMP NOWLIN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcc31), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.