CAMP SAN SABA
CAMP SAN SABA. When the Civil War began, federal troops pulled out of frontier posts, and state companies of mounted volunteers organized to protect settlers from Indian raids. One or more of these companies established a camp on the San Saba River at what was probably the site of an earlier ranger camp. Capt. W. D. McMillan's company, Capt. W. G. O'Brien's regiment, and Lt. Decator Barton's company were among the troops at Camp San Saba. The camp ceased to be active by the end of the Civil War. The community of Camp San Saba grew up near the site and took its name.
Jessie Laurie Barfoot, History of McCulloch County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937). William Curry Holden, Frontier Problems and Movements in West Texas, 1846–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1928). Wayne Spiller, comp., Handbook of McCulloch County History (Vol. 1, Seagraves, Texas: Pioneer, 1976; vol. 2, Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains Press, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "CAMP SAN SABA," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcc37), accessed April 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.