Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

CAMP COOKE

CAMP COOKE. Camp Cooke was on the Colorado River near the mouth of Waller Creek, now in Austin, Travis County. The camp was one of the assembly sites for volunteers of the Texan Santa Fe expedition in May and June 1841. It was almost certainly named for William Gordon Cooke, a civilian commissioner on the expedition. The camp was occupied as late as June 11, 1841.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Gerald S. Pierce, Texas Under Arms: The Camps, Posts, Forts, and Military Towns of the Republic of Texas (Austin: Encino, 1969).

Art Leatherwood

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Art Leatherwood, "CAMP COOKE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcc51), accessed August 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.