CAMP SALADO. Camp Salado was the campground occupied by the volunteers under Capt. John Coffee (Jack) Hays during the battle of Salado Creek on September 18, 1842. The camp is believed to have been adjacent to the battlefield on Salado Creek, six miles northeast of San Antonio within the bounds of present Fort Sam Houston.
Gerald S. Pierce, Texas Under Arms: The Camps, Posts, Forts, and Military Towns of the Republic of Texas (Austin: Encino, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Art Leatherwood, "CAMP SALADO," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcc54), accessed September 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.