CAMP KINGSVILLE. Camp Kingsville, at the Kingsville Fairgrounds, was established in September 1915. It was the headquarters of a battalion of the Twenty-sixth Infantry and the operational base for companies K, L, and M, commanded by Lt. Joseph D. Patch, who became a major general in World War II. The camp operated during the Mexican border troubles and was detailed to defend the Armstrong, Kenedy, and King ranches (see ARMSTRONG, JOHN BARCLAY; KENEDY, MIFFLIN; KING RANCH), as well as the rail line between San Antonio and Norias. A Texas historical marker, dedicated to Patch, was placed at Santa Gertrudis Avenue and Texas Highway 141 in Kingsville on February 1, 1971.
Kleberg County Historical Commission, Kleberg County, Texas (Austin: Hart Graphics, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Art Leatherwood, "CAMP KINGSVILLE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcc59), accessed October 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.