CAMP NUECES (Uvalde County). Camp Nueces, at the San Antonio-Eagle Pass road crossing of the Nueces River in southwestern Uvalde County, was established by James M. Norris in April 1862, as a ranger station for the Frontier Regiment. Manned by a company under Capt. John J. Dix, Jr., the camp sent out scouts on the frontier, probably until consolidation of the regiment in March 1864.
William Curry Holden, Frontier Problems and Movements in West Texas, 1846–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1928).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CAMP NUECES," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qccce), accessed August 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.