FORT BUFFALO SPRINGS
FORT BUFFALO SPRINGS. Fort Buffalo Springs was at Buffalo Springs, thirty miles north of Jacksboro, Texas, in Clay County. It was occupied by two companies of the Sixth Cavalry deployed from Jacksboro in 1867, with orders to erect substantial buildings. Inadequate water and timber forced the troops to abandon the site, possibly in the same year, and return to Jacksboro, where they established a new post to be named Fort Richardson.
William Curry Holden, Frontier Problems and Movements in West Texas, 1846–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1928). H. H. McConnell, Five Years a Cavalryman, or Sketches of Regular Army Life on the Texas Frontier (Jacksboro, Texas: J. N. Rogers, 1889). Joseph Carroll McConnell, West Texas Frontier (Vol. 1, Jacksboro, Texas, 1933; Vol. 2, Palo Pinto, Texas, 1939). Theronne Thompson, "Fort Buffalo Springs, Texas Border Post," West Texas Historical Association Year Book 36 (1960). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Art Leatherwood, "FORT BUFFALO SPRINGS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcf18), accessed December 10, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.