FORT MOORE. Fort Moore, a Confederate installation at Eagle Grove on Galveston Island, Galveston County, was established soon after the battle of Galveston on January 1, 1863. It was an earthen fortification defended by two thirty-two-pound smoothbores and two eighteen-pound howitzers. The fort was dismantled after the city surrendered to federal troops on June 19, 1865.
Bill Winsor, Texas in the Confederacy (Hillsboro, Texas: Hill Junior College Press, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Maury Darst, "FORT MOORE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcf21), accessed April 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.