FORT BIRD. After the battle of Village Creek in May 1841, Gen. Edward H. Tarrant ordered the construction and garrisoning of a fort near the site to protect the extreme northwest corner of the Texas frontier. Fort Bird (or Bird's Fort), constructed by a hundred volunteers of the Fourth Brigade of Texas Militia under Maj. Jonathan Bird in September and October 1841, consisted of a blockhouse and several smaller buildings enclosed in a picket stockade. Bird's company and that of Capt. Alexander W. Webb occupied the fort until March 1842, when it was apparently abandoned. The Sniveley expeditionqv was disbanded at Fort Bird in August 1843, and in September the fort housed a council between representatives of the Republic of Texas and nine Indian tribes. Fort Bird subsequently became the site of the Tarrant County community of Birdville, now part of northeast Fort Worth. In Arlington a stone marker, seven miles to the south, commemorates the fort.
Austin Daily Bulletin, December 15, 1841. Gerald S. Pierce, Texas Under Arms: The Camps, Posts, Forts, and Military Towns of the Republic of Texas (Austin: Encino, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Thomas W. Cutrer, "FORT BIRD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcf26), accessed October 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.