Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

BUCKEYE RANGERS

BUCKEYE RANGERS. The Buckeye Rangers, a volunteer company of so-called "emigrants," was recruited for service in the Texas Revolution in the spring of 1836 around Cincinnati, Ohio, by James C. Allenqv and an organization called the Friends of Texas. A series of mass meetings and benefit theatrical performances raised funds and supplies. The arms and military accoutrements appear to have been lent for one year by the quartermaster of the Cincinnati militia district. By June 5 the company of seventy-five to 100 men was recruited and designated the Buckeye Rangers. The volunteers left Cincinnati on the steamboat Farmer on June 6, 1836, under the escort of the Cincinnati Greys. They arrived at New Orleans about June 15 and some days later sailed for Texas, apparently on the Ocean, which arrived at Galveston in late June and then proceeded to Velasco, where the company disembarked. The men were welcomed by David G. Burnet and served as his bodyguard when a plot was disclosed to kidnap and depose him because of the government's protection of Antonio López de Santa Anna after the treaty of Velascoqv. The rangers served under Thomas J. Rusk until the danger of a threatened Mexican invasion had passed. Most of the volunteers remained to become citizens of Texas.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

William Campbell Binkley, ed., Official Correspondence of the Texan Revolution, 1835–1836 (2 vols., New York: Appleton-Century, 1936). Louis Wiltz Kemp Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Houston Wade, David G. Burnet Letters (La Grange, Texas: La Grange Journal, n.d.). Louis J. Wortham, A History of Texas (5 vols., Fort Worth: Wortham-Molyneaux, 1924).

Hobart Huson

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Hobart Huson, "BUCKEYE RANGERS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qjb01), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.