Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

TWENTIETH TEXAS INFANTRY

TWENTIETH TEXAS INFANTRY. The Twentieth Texas Infantry was organized in the spring of 1862 at Galveston, Texas, to serve in the defense of the state’s coastline. The regiment was made up of primarily middle-aged wealthy men of some level of prominence. The regiment consisted of ten companies, lettered A to K, from the counties of Anderson, Austin, Falls, Galveston, Grimes, Harris, Kaufman, Montgomery, Polk, Robertson, Walker, Waller, Washington, and Williamson. Col. Henry M. Elmore commanded the regiment, and its field officers were Lt. Col. Leonard A. Abercrombie and Maj. Robert E. Bell.

Throughout the war the regiment spent most of its time serving in and around Galveston. Early in 1863 the men of the regiment were trained to use heavy artillery along the coast. The only combat the regiment took part in was the battle of Galveston on January 1, 1863. On January 3, 1863, a detachment of the regiment also took part in a skirmish at Galveston. Both engagements were Confederate victories. By April 1864 the regiment had twenty-one officers and 622 men present for coastal defense. The Twentieth Texas Infantry was present at Galveston when the Trans-Mississippi Department surrendered on June 2, 1865.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Edward T. Cotham, Jr., Battle on the Bay: The Civil War Struggle for Galveston (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1998). Joseph H. Crute, Jr., Units of the Confederate States Army (Midlothian, Virgina: Derwent, 1987). Vertical File, Historical Research Center, Texas Heritage Museum, Hill College, Hillsboro, Texas. Stewart Sifakis, Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Texas (New York: Facts on File, 1995).

James A. Hathcock

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

James A. Hathcock, "TWENTIETH TEXAS INFANTRY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qkt29), accessed September 01, 2014. Uploaded on April 5, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.