SEVENTH BOMBARDMENT WING
SEVENTH BOMBARDMENT WING. The Seventh Bombardment Wing began operations on November, 17, 1947, at Carswell Air Force Baseqv in Fort Worth. It was assigned to the Strategic Air Command under the Second Air Force. The unit was equipped with B-29 aircraft and was responsible for global bombardment training. In 1948 it began transition to B-36s, and in 1949 it began flight testing the XC-99, a cargo version of the B-36. It also evaluated the RB-36 in 1950 and from July to September 1955 was deployed to Nouasseur Air Base in French Morocco to evaluate facilities for use as a B-36 base. In 1957 the unit went on nuclear alert. By 1958 it was operating B-52 and KC-135 aircraft with the new mission of global strategic bombardment and air-refueling training and operations. In April 1965 the wing deployed all its bombers, tankers, and aircrews and some support personnel to the Pacific in support of military operations in Southeast Asia. The planes returned to the states in December. The wing continued to support the Southeast Asia operations on a reduced scale until September 1969, when most aircraft were returned to the Pacific, where they stayed through March 1970. Some of the wing resources continued to support the Southeast Asia force until 1975. In 1974 the wing resumed the nuclear alert, which had been lifted during the Southeast Asia deployments. The unit deployed equipment and more than 800 people to the Persian Gulf during operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. From February to April 1991 the Strategic Air Command assigned the Seventh to stateside inspections for the SAC KC-135s as the Seventh Field Maintenance Squadron at Carswell AFB. The Seventh Bombardment Wing has received three Outstanding Unit awards and the Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm. It and its subordinate units have also won numerous navigation, bombardment, and refueling awards through exemplary performance.
Files, Office of Public Affairs, Carswell Air Force Base.