ALAMOCITOS CREEK. Alamocitos (or Alamocita) Creek rises in three prongs thirteen miles northeast of Adrian in Oldham County (at 35°26' N, 102°36' W) and flows north sixteen miles to its mouth on the Canadian River (at 35°32' N, 102°35' W). It runs over flat to rolling terrain with local escarpments and mostly deep, fine, sandy loam that supports brush, grasses, and some hardwoods. The Spanish name means "little cottonwoods," a name perhaps conferred by pastores in the 1870s. The creek occupies a prominent place in Panhandle ranching history. In the fall of 1878 the British owners of the New Zealand Sheep Company established their initial headquarters on Alamocitos Creek a few miles south of the Canadian River. The site later became the location of the second headquarters of the LS Ranch after W. M. D. Leeqv bought it in 1882. In 1885 it became the nucleus of the Alamocitos Division of the XIT Ranch, in 1902 part of the Matador Land and Cattle Company, and subsequently the Alamocitos Cattle Corporation, owned and operated by Clarence Sharbauer, Jr., after 1952.
Oldham County Historical Commission, Oldham County (Dallas: Taylor, 1981). Pauline D. and R. L. Robertson, Cowman's Country: Fifty Frontier Ranches in the Texas Panhandle, 1876–1887 (Amarillo: Paramount, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."ALAMOCITOS CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rba19), accessed October 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.