ALAMOSA CREEK (OLDHAM COUNTY)
ALAMOSA CREEK (Oldham County). Alamosa Creek is made up of three intermittent branches that all rise in east central Oldham County north and east of Vega. West Alamosa Creek flows from its source fifteen miles northeast of Vega (at 35°25' N, 102°30' W) to its junction with Middle Alamosa Creek (at 35°29' N, 102°25' W). Middle Alamosa Creek rises four miles south of the head of West Alamosa Creek (at 35°15' N, 102°30' W) and flows twenty miles northeast to the point where the two streams join, four miles south of the Canadian River. East Alamosa Creek, the shortest of the streams, rises near Middle Alamosa Creek (at 30°24' N, 102°23' W) and parallels the latter for its last six or seven miles, then joins the main stream (at 35°30' N, 102°21' W) halfway between the junction of West and Middle Alamosa creeks and the mouth (at 35°31' N, 102°21' W) of the main creek on the Canadian River. The streams traverse an area of low hills and moderately steep slopes with densely dissected gullies. The soils are chiefly mud and sand that support mesquite, grasses, and some oaks. The third headquarters of the LS Ranch was located on the Alamosa in 1886; in 1905 this property was purchased and operated by the Landergin brothers. It later became the nucleus of the Mansfield Cattle Company.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."ALAMOSA CREEK (OLDHAM COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rba20), accessed January 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.