ALBERS BRANCH. Albers Branch rises about a mile south of Waldeck Church in north central Fayette County (at 30°03' N, 96°48' W) and flows northeast intermittently for two miles before disemboguing into Hellers Branch about one mile east of Waldeck (at 30°04' N, 96°46' W). The first half of the streambed runs through gently sloping hills surfaced by shallow, highly erodible, loamy topsoil over a dense clay subsoil containing volcanic materials. The lower half of the branch flows over deep deposits of sand and gravel mixed with clay. These soils are marginal for agriculture and are used primarily for pasture and wildlife habitat. The vegetation combines native and introduced grasses with post oak forests, hackberry, and yaupon. The stream is named for Gerhard Albers, a German immigrant who, with other Germans, settled in the Waldeck area before the Civil War. During that war Captain Albers commanded the Long Prairie German Company, which was formed in June 1861.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."ALBERS BRANCH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbaar), accessed November 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.