BARTON CREEK (DONLEY COUNTY)
BARTON CREEK (Donley County). Barton Creek rises fourteen miles northeast of Howardwick in north central Donley County (at 35°11' N, 100°51' W) and runs southeast for eleven miles to its mouth on Saddlers Creek, ten miles northeast of Clarendon (at 35°04' N, 100°45' W). The stream was named for S. B. Barton, a former buffalo hunter and surveyor who had a horse ranch on McClellan Creek. One of three line camps on Lewis H. Carhart's Quarter Circle Heart Ranch was on Barton Creek, as was J. F. Evans's original Spade Ranch headquarters; this property was later owned successively by the families of Charlie McMurtry and Thomas L. Griffin. The surrounding terrain is flat to rolling to steeply sloped and surfaced with locally stony loams and clays. Native vegetation includes mesquite scrub and grass.
Virginia Browder, Donley County: Land O' Promise (Wichita Falls, Texas: Nortex, 1975). Willie Newbury Lewis, Between Sun and Sod (Clarendon, Texas: Clarendon Press, 1938; rev. ed., College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1976).