BEAVER CREEK (LEON COUNTY)
BEAVER CREEK (Leon County). Beaver Creek, a spring-fed perennial stream, rises three miles west of Centerville in central Leon County (at 30°16' N, 96°04' W) and flows east for ten miles to its mouth on Keechi Creek, four miles east of Centerville (at 31°15' N, 95°56' W). It traverses gently sloping to nearly level terrain surfaced by sandy loam that supports post oak, black hickory, pecan, elm, water oak, and hackberry trees along the creekbed. Settlement in the vicinity began during the 1840s. By 1848 Centerville had been established on the north bank of the creek's upper course; it became the seat of Leon County in 1850. During Reconstruction two companies of Union troops were stationed on the north bank south of Centerville. Redland has been located on the south bank of the middle creek since the 1850s.
James Young Gates and H. B. Fox, A History of Leon County (Centerville, Texas: Leon County News, 1936; rpt. 1977). Frances Jane Leathers, Through the Years: A Historical Sketch of Leon County and the Town of Oakwood (Oakwood, Texas, 1946).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BEAVER CREEK (LEON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbb87), accessed March 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.