BEAVER DAM CREEK
BEAVER DAM CREEK. Beaver Dam Creek, a perennial stream, rises eight miles northeast of Centerville in northeast Leon County (at 31°23' N, 95°56' W) and flows southeast for nineteen miles to its mouth on the Trinity River, on the Houston county line sixteen miles east of Centerville (at 31°17' N, 95°42' W). About five miles above its mouth, in an ancient segment of Trinity River bed, the stream fans into an extensive marsh of 4,000 acres. Terraces surrounding the marsh contain prehistoric Caddo archeological sites. The stream traverses steeply sloping to nearly level terrain, surfaced by sandy and clay loam that support dense woods of loblolly pine, sweet gum, post oak, black hickory, pecan, elm, water oak, and hackberry woods along the creekbed. Settlement of the area began during the early 1840s. Thomas H. Garner, one of the first settlers in the county, established a sawmill on a tributary of the creek. Since the mid-nineteenth century Eunice has been located on the north bank of the creek; Hopewell and Russell are also on the north bank. Pleasant Springs and Old Midway lie on the south bank of the upper creek.
James Young Gates and H. B. Fox, A History of Leon County (Centerville, Texas: Leon County News, 1936; rpt. 1977). Leon County Historical Book Survey Committee, History of Leon County (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BEAVER DAM CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbb89), accessed January 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.