BENT CREEK. Bent Creek rises in northeastern Hutchinson County (at 35°58' N, 101°16' W) and flows south for eight miles to its mouth on the Canadian River, eleven miles northeast of Plemons (at 35°54' N, 101°07' W). It crosses an area of flat to rolling plains and sandy and clayey soils, where the vegetation consists mainly of mesquite shrubs and grasses. Bent Creek was named for William Bent, of the Bent, St. Vrain, and Company trading firm, which operated from 1832 until 1849 and in 1843 built the short-lived trading house that gave Adobe Walls its name. It was also the site of the first battle of Adobe Walls in November 1864. The creek is on the Turkey Track Ranch.
Pauline D. and R. L. Robertson, Cowman's Country: Fifty Frontier Ranches in the Texas Panhandle, 1876–1887 (Amarillo: Paramount, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BENT CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbbaz), accessed July 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.